Natilie Foshee, Emersyn Smith and McKellyn Smith represented Gallatin County at the Multi-County 4-H Horse Show held July 12 at the Southeastern Illinois Horse Club arena in Ridgway Community Park. Youth from Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin and Pope county 4-H programs attended. The ring was provided and prepared by membership of the Southeastern Illinois Horse Club.
Our members did a fantastic job! All three of them received blue in Senior Showmanship, a class which tests the relationship and willingness of the mount to perform a series of tasks while being led. In the mounted divisions, Emersyn and McKellyn also received blue in Horsemanship, Ranch Pleasure and Trail.
Single Barrel, Barrel Race, Flag Race and Catalog Race are tests of speed and skill, with Emersyn and McKellyn continuing to perform well. Egg and Spoon and the Water Glass Class are fun classes that test just how steady the rider's hand is while they perform maneuvers much like Simon Says. Water was spilled; eggs splattered and all had a great time.
In addition to ribbons, all participants got to choose one of the following prizes: fly mask, mane and tail brushes, saddle cover, ball cap, or T-shirt.
Our volunteer judge has been involved with the 4-H Horse Program for more than 30 years. She was impressed by the sportsmanship, willingness to try new things, and the relationships our exhibitors had with their mounts. We look forward to more 4-H Horse & Pony activities in the future.
If you are interested in learning more, reach out to Kassy at email@example.com. You do not need a horse to participate. Our Gallatin County Horse Club Leader, Raegan Smith also coaches Horse Bowl and Hippology -- two great ways to be involved without owning a horse!
• July 17-21: Memorial Camp
• July 19: Final Summer Foods Class
• Aug. 12: Illinois State Fair Exhibit Day
• Sept. 1: New 4-H Year begins
• Oct. 208: National 4-H Week
• Oct. 14-16: Junior Leadership Conference
• To learn more about 4-H in Illinois and Gallatin County email Kassy Scates at firstname.lastname@example.org. University of Illinois Extension provides equal opportunities in programs and employment. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in this program, contact Kassy.