Three Southern Illinois residents indicted on federal charges
<span>Add federal charges to the list of methamphetamine-related offenses facing two Randolph County residents.</span>
<span>The United States Attorney for the Southern District of Illinois, Stephen R. Wigginton, announced in a March 9 news release that 40-year-old John G. Haslett, of Percy and 19-year-old Michael A. Boyt, Jr., of Sparta, are charged in a three-count indictment for conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamine.</span>
<span>The March 3 indictment alleges that the offenses occurred between 2013 and January 2015 in Perry, Randolph, Williamson, Jackson and Franklin counties. Boyt Jr. is also listed with a Marion address.</span>
<span>"We still have State charges against them," said Randolph County State's Attorney Jeremy Walker, referring to Haslett and Boyt Jr. "We do not have to dismiss the case against them.</span>
<span>"However, what typically happens is the federal system has stiffer penalties. Once the federal prosecution is over and (suspects) are sentenced to time and if we're satisfied with that time, we would dismiss the case."</span>
<span>Also charged in the indictment is 23-year-old Sparta resident Russell A. Stokes, who is also listed with a Benton address.</span>
<span>According to the release, Haslett and Stokes are also charged with one count of possession of pseudoephedrine, knowing that it would be used to manufacture methamphetamine.</span>
<span>Haslett's son, Jonathen E. "Jono" Haslett, who is also part of the State's case, was not federally charged and has an April 6 case management conference scheduled at the Randolph County Courthouse.</span>
<span>A trial date of May 11 has been set aside. Both Hasletts and Boyt Jr. have previously pleaded not guilty to methamphetamine-related charges.</span>
<span>"We are waiting for some stuff to come back from the crime lab, so we're still looking at a May trial date," Walker said, referring to Jono Haslett.</span>
<span>In the State's case, Boyt Jr. is also facing charges of obstruction of justice related to evidence destruction and delivery of a substance containing methamphetamine.</span>
<span>Both Hasletts and Boyt Jr. were charged by the State in January with alleged unlawful participation in meth manufacturing and unlawful possession of meth manufacturing chemicals.</span>
<span>"We will let the feds go first," Walker said. "Certainly the State case that we have built against them has been turned over to the federal authorities.</span>
<span>"At this point, it would be more of a federal case than a state case."</span>
<span>The federal meth offense carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison, followed by three years of supervised release and a $1 million fine. Stokes is being held without bond and was scheduled for a detention hearing on March 10.</span>
<span>John Haslett and Boyt Jr. were scheduled to make their initial appearances in federal court on Tuesday. Assistant U.S. Attorney Amanda Robertson is prosecuting the case.</span>
<span>"Any case that we see go federal is generally methamphetamine-involved," Walker said. "Most of the people who are charged or indicted are perceived to have committed federal crimes.</span>
<span>"This this is one of the areas where you see the most interaction between state and federal authorities."</span>
<span>The Randolph County Sheriff's Office, Jackson County Sheriff's Office, Steeleville Police Department, Coulterville Police Department, Sparta Police Department, Perry County Drug Task Force, and Illinois State Police Methamphetamine Response Team are all assisting in the case.</span>
<span>The federal charge for Boyt Jr. is the same as his father's. Michael A. Boyt, Sr., of Marion, is scheduled for a March 18 sentencing hearing on one count of conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamine from 2012 to 2014 in Williamson, Perry, Jackson and Randolph counties.</span>
That offense carries the same penalty as his son is facing.