State Briefs 1/15/08
Clubhouse destroyed by fire
LaFAYETTE - The clubhouse at the Lake Calhoun golf course southwest of LaFayette was destroyed by an early-morning fire Monday.
"When we pulled in, I realized there wasn't anything we were going to save," said LaFayette Fire Chief Chris Sherbeyn. "The roof was already gone and you could literally see through the outside standing walls on the upper level."
The wind carried smoke and burning cinders to the east, toward the three homes across the street.
The clubhouse and golf pro shop is owned by the Lake Calhoun Association. The private nine-hole golf course just off of Route 17 was designed and built in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The clubhouse is believed to have been built at about the same time.
State Fire Marshall Jim Tunney of Lewistown and the Knox County Sheriff's Department were investigating the fire.
- Star Courier
Tailgating motorist pulls gun on driver, police say
PEORIA -- A motorist driving on Interstate 74 from Galesburg to Peoria on Sunday was followed, then threatened with a gun by another driver.
The 32-year-old victim told police he noticed a car following him shortly after leaving Galesburg about 4:30 p.m. Several times during the trip, he slowed down, hoping the tailing motorist would pass him, but he never did, police reports said.
Once in Peoria at the Sterling Avenue interstate exit, he again slowed so the car could go around him. This time the other driver did, but stopped just beside him.
When he looked over to get a look at the driver, the front-seat passenger rolled down the window and pointed a handgun at him, police said. The victim hit his brakes, distancing himself from the vehicle, and got off on the University Street exit, where he called police.
He said he didn't recognize the driver or passenger and couldn't provide police descriptions of the men.
- Journal Star, Peoria
Teacher accused of punching student
SPRINGFIELD -- A 53-year-old teacher at Lee Elementary School has been placed on administrative leave after punching a 20-year-old special-education student last week, authorities said.
The incident happened Tuesday and was reported to police on Friday.
A spokeswoman for the Springfield School District, Sarah Watson, declined to discuss the incident Monday, saying, "The situation is under review."
An administrator at Lee, 1201 Bunn Ave., told police the incident happened about 1:15 p.m. last Tuesday.
The student, who has mental disabilities, left his music class and went to the stage for some reason. His teacher found him and told him to go back to his classroom. The student apparently spit on and hit the woman in the face, according to the police report.
The teacher called for help from attendants, who escorted the student to a "time-out" area.
The teacher allegedly followed, screaming and swearing at the student. She then punched him several times in the head and stomach, according to the report. The attendants separated the teacher and the student.
One of the attendants told police the student had been in time-out for only a few seconds when the teacher charged at the student, screamed at him and struck him repeatedly with a closed fist.
The police report said the teacher was placed on administrative leave, but police did not release her name because she was not arrested. The incident is under investigation.
The victim has a behavior disorder with cognitive impairment, authorities said.
- State Journal-Register
Plans call for improving road to ethanol plant
HENNEPIN -- Plans are progressing in Putnam County on an estimated $3 million-plus project that would realign a road running from a state highway to a new ethanol plant north of Hennepin.
Bid-letting on the realignment of ESK Road east of Hennepin could be as early as June, county engineer George Meister told the County Board this week.
The Hennepin Township road runs north from Illinois Route 71 through a rural area including homes and industry and reaches the entrance of Marquis Energy LLC, an ethanol plant expected to begin operating in March. It does not have the 80,000-pound rating required for heavy trucks, and part of it runs through "a roller-coaster" type of terrain, Meister said after the meeting.
The realignment would move the road's intersection about one-third mile east, from which a heavy truck route would pass through generally flat land before curving to join the existing road about a mile-and-a-half north, he said. The new corner also would be about 30 feet higher, improving traffic visibility for left turns.
A matching-funds state economic development grant is already in place to pay half the cost, up to $2 million. The total is likely to exceed $3 million but probably not reach $4 million, Meister estimated.
Once started, the project will probably require about six months of construction, he said. The existing road will remain, but mainly for local residential access.
"It's a very major project for Putnam County," Meister said. "It will be nice if we can pull it off, and I think we can."
- Journal Star, Peoria
Ex-principal's sex assault trial starts today
PEORIA -- Opening arguments will begin this morning in the trial of a former Illini Bluffs elementary school principal who is accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old at a party last summer.
John C. Walker, 42, faces at least four and possibly up to 15 years in prison if convicted of two counts of criminal sexual assault in the mid-July incident. Probation is not an option.
The alleged victim was an acquaintance and a 2005 graduate of Illini Bluffs High School. According to authorities, the two were at the same house party in the Lake Camelot subdivision when the victim felt ill and went inside a bedroom. Witnesses at the party said they saw Walker later follow the victim into the room.
Court documents offer few details but state that he used "force or the threat of force" and knew his victim "was unable to give knowing consent."
Police have said Walker's position as a school official was not a factor.
Walker resigned within a month from his position as principal of the district's elementary school.
The trial is expected to last a couple of days. Walker remains free after posting $7,500 bail to get out of jail.
- Journal Star, Peoria
Damage from tornado: $2.6 million
ROCKFORD -- Last week's tornado in northern Boone County caused an estimated $2.6 million damage, officials say.
The cost of the disaster, which was determined by the Boone County Sheriff's Department Emergency Management Agency and the Boone County Building Department, does not include personal property lost, Edwards Apple Orchard stock or vehicles damaged.
The inclusion of those losses will drive up the total price tag millions more, Lt. Phil Beu of the Sheriff's Department said.
"It's something that we really can't guess at, but I would assume it's going to be substantially more," Beu said.
Another damage survey in Candlewick Lake was completed Monday, driving up the total number of structures damaged.
Authorities now say 19 homes were damaged, four of which are in unliveable condition. Three homes were completely destroyed, four others received major damage and seven had minor damage. The number of structures damaged went up from 42 to 44, which includes damage to barns, silos, garages and other outbuildings.
- Rockford Register Star
Wynn sues over alleged police attack
MARION - Derek B. Wynn, the Herrin man allegedly attacked by three police officers last August, has filed a lawsuit seeking $150,000 in damages and court costs.
Clinton Ronchetto, Kyle Murray and Kyle Rinella are named in the suit, filed on Dec. 28. The lawsuit alleges the three men conspired against Wynn, which led to a mid-August incident for which the men face charges in court.
According to Wynn's suit, "he was threatened, illegally restrained and beaten by the defendants acting individually and in concert."
In addition, the suit alleges Rinella and Murray offered Chris Goodson "'a so-called 'free pass' in Williamson County for his assistance to them in locating" Wynn.
Ronchetto, Murry and Rinella no longer are tied to law enforcement agencies with whom they were associated at the time of the alleged August incident.
A fourth former law enforcement official implicated in the court proceedings, Michael Carruthers, was not included in Wynn's suit.
- Marion Daily Republican
Farmer dies in train accident
ILLIOPOLIS - A Sangamon County farmer died Monday morning when his sport utility vehicle collided with a train. John T. Wright, 58, of Illiopolis was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash at Old Route 36 and Cantrell Road west of Illiopolis.
Authorities received a 911 call reporting the accident at 6:21 a.m.
Wright's 1996 Ford Explorer was found on the north side of the tracks. It had overturned two or three times before coming to rest. He was southbound at the time.
Sangamon County sheriff's Capt. Jack Campbell said it was not immediately clear if Wright struck the eastbound Norfolk-Southern freight train or if the train struck him. It also was not immediately known if a medical episode might have been a factor.
The rural crossing has no warning lights or crossing arms. Campbell said deputies found skid marks at the site.
An autopsy Monday indicated Wright died of injuries to his body.
Wright was a farmer and sold real estate on the side, said Campbell, who also is from Illiopolis and knew the man.
Funeral arrangements are pending at Edwards Funeral Home in Arcola.
- State Journal-Register