HARRISBURG -- Harrisburg High School's speech team hosts a regional tournament Saturday, and hopes to advance after a successful season, speech coach Tina Mondino says.
The HHS speech team has had a number of good results in tournaments this season. That became evident at the final regular season tournament at Belleville last Saturday, when eight HHS team members were named to the speech league's Top 25 Speakers. Most regular season tournaments feature anywhere from 10 to 16 different school teams.
"We've had a very good team this year, with an exceptional group of dedicated speakers who have really excelled," Mondino said.
Senior Maddi Kennedy was honored as top speaker in the league this year, Mondino said, Kennedy also took top honors her sophomore year, and was in the top five during the 2017-2018 season. Kennedy performs in Dramatic Interpretation and Dramatic Duet Acting. Other Top 25 speakers on the Harrisburg team are:
• Bradley Frailey, Top 25 three years in a row, Special Occasion Speaking and Original Comedy;
• Kaylee Robinson, Top 25 two years in a row, Impromptu and Declamation;
• Kole Phelps, Top 25 two years in a row, Extemporaneous and Prose;
• Jack Gulley, Dramatic Duet Acting and Radio;
• Kendall Vallette;
• Addie Hanks, Performance in the Round;
• Ravyn Gauch, Poetry.
The Saturday regional at HHS will see 10 area schools participating in 15 events.
Awards will be at 5:30 p.m. in the cafeteria.