Breaking News Bar

Eldorado family safe after house fire

Posted on 3/7/2018, 3:59 PM

ELDORADO -- An Eldorado family is safe, though their house appears to be a total loss after an early-morning fire Tuesday.

Fire Chief Mike McKinnies said the family on the 300 block of Alexander Road was awakened after midnight by a smoke detector.

"They were in bed, and the smoke detector in the back of the house was working. That's what they heard and were able to get out," McKinnies said.

The chief said the Eldorado Fire Department received a call and responded at exactly 1 a.m. and finished at the scene at 3:30 a.m.

He said the department responded with the fire chief's car, a fire engine and two tankers, along with 18 firefighters.

McKinnies said the fire started at an outlet that had three power strips connected in succession.

"They were hooked together," he said, noting that the family did not have insurance on the home, and he has been working with them to help obtain clothing and other donations. "They lost everything."

The family is accepting these clothing donations: women's small shirts, pants size 1, shoe size 5; men's 31x34 pants, medium shirt, size 12 shoe; men's XXL shirt, pants 40x34, size 13 shoe; men's large shirt, pants 36x34, size 12 shoe; boys pants 10 slim, shirt 10-12, shoe size 3.

For more information, call (618) 499-9054.