Breaking News Bar

CFD responds to electrical fire

  • The Chester Fire Department responded to the report of an electrical fire at 246 Opdyke St. on Sunday.

    The Chester Fire Department responded to the report of an electrical fire at 246 Opdyke St. on Sunday.
    Herald Tribune File Photo

 
Staff report
updated: 9/5/2017 5:11 PM

Chester firefighters were paged out to 246 Opdyke St., which is in the apartment complex behind the highrise, at 3:10 p.m. on Sunday on the report of a possible electrical fire.

"There were sparks coming off the water line behind the washer and dryer," said Chester Fire Chief Marty Bert. "That's not common at all. The water line was getting hot, that's why they called Ameren."

Bert said that once on scene, it took some time for Ameren to determine whether the problem was on Randolph County Housing Authority's side or the electrical provider's.

"They finally determined it was the underground wire between the apartment and where it goes out to the box," he said.

Ameren eventually had to dig up the line to address the problem. The apartment itself did not sustain any damage and firefighters were on scene for about 45 minutes.

CFD Lt. Tim Crow and Assistant Chief Ronnie Shemonic stayed behind with the Ameren crew.

"Once they determined what it was and Ameren had it under control, they left," Bert said.