The Daily Register - Harrisburg, IL
  • Saving roads through water main replacement

  • Harrisburg City Council approved putting a water main replacement project on the fast-track in an effort to save money on road damage during Thursday's meeting.
    • email print
  • Harrisburg City Council approved putting a water main replacement project on the fast-track in an effort to save money on road damage during Thursday’s meeting.
    The city is spending about $3,500 on each water main break and these are occurring fairly frequently as the city’s infrastructure is aging. Harrisburg uses about a million and a half gallons of water each day for various purposes. Discussion revolved around the damage to new roads or to roads in good repair to repair water main breaks, and a proposed 10-year plan to replace the mains as they broke.
    “We’re doing repairs under good roads and damaging them to effect the repairs. This is not cost effective,” said Fearheiley.
    After discussion on the subject, the board, in a non-voting decision, approved the plan to secure a grant or loan from the EPA and complete the entire water line repair project in two to three years rather then piecemeal the job over 10 years. It is estimated that the entire project will cost on the order of $2 million.
    The council heard a report from city attorney Todd Bittle as to the proposed closure of an alley behind Best One Tire. Bittle informed the council all was in order for the Aug. 1 Public Hearing on the matter.
    The council then heard from Keith Moran, whose company has established the Downtown Tax Increment Finance District for Harrisburg. Moran stated that with the TIF now established, he has been getting calls from residents as to how to apply for TIF funding. Moran stated that he had been directing callers to contact the city to get application forms and advised the council to form a TIF committee, to assist and streamline the funding approval process for city residents.
    Fearheiley stated that councilman McPeek had agreed to serve on such a committee and the council was in favor of it's establishment. Councilman Fowler stated that he felt a local businessman should serve on the committee and after brief discussion it was decide to ask Dave Clemmons to serve. A initial committee composed of McPeek, Fearheiley and Clemmons — if he agrees to serve — was approved by unanimous council vote.
    The council heard an update from Jim Brown of Brown and Roberts Engineering as to the application for potable water and sewer installation permits to the Environmental Protection Agency. This involves the Cummins Commercial Subdivision adjacent to the state Route 13 bypass. The council gave approval for Brown and Roberts to apply for the permits.
    Sarah Farmer and Alene Carr, of the Southeastern Illinois Regional Planning and Development Commission addressed the council. Farmer delivered the routine, six-month update on the city’s revolving loan fund. Carr gave an update and progress report on the federal $1.6 million grant to the city for the upgrading and refurbishment of the city’s waste water treatment facility.
    Page 2 of 2 - Carr also briefed the council as to the fact that several substantial expenditures on the project were going to occur shortly and wanted the council to be aware of of this. This $2 million project is 80 percent funded by the federal grant with the city funding the other 20 percent.
    The council also heard a report from Dale Fowler on the increase of parking available in city parking lots in the downtown area.
    Fowler plan to meet with the owners of properties on Small Street who have requested the city build a “mini-levee” system to protect their properties from frequent flooding.
    Fowler also informed the council that the city needs to revisit their ordinances regarding lease agreements and mobile home requirements on the city owned lots at Harrisburg Lake. Fowler and the council feel that some adjustment, clarification or “fine tuning” of the ordinances is required.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar