The Daily Register - Harrisburg, IL
  • Prep Soccer: Bulldogs close out week on sour note

  • Harrisburg drops final two games of Metro-East Lutheran Tournament; brings back 4th place trophy
    • email print
  • Staff Report
    The Harrisburg High School soccer team closed out the final two days of the Metro-East Lutheran Tournament with a pair of losses.
    On Saturday, the Bulldogs (3-2) lost to host Metro-East Lutheran 3-2 in a shootout, while dropping a 9-3 contest Friday to Waterloo Gibault.
    In the shootout Cody Morris scored the games first goal, putting Harrisburg up 1-0. ME Lutheran struck back in the first 40 minutes to knot the game at 1, but James Curtis put Harrisburg back up 2-1 with a second half goal. ME Lutheran again tied the game at two in the second half, before getting the game winning goal in the shootout.
    Harrisburg had 12 shots on goal with Carver Gregg putting up four and an assist. Curtis and Morris each had two, while Brandon Duffield had one.
    Brennan Hawkins got the loss in goal for Harrisburg, netting 110 minutes, allowing two goals and saving seven.
    "This was probably some of the best soccer the Bulldogs have played this whole tournament and that is after playing three very physical games the past three days," head coach Mike Stewart said, "I am just sorry it had to be decided by a penalty kick shootout. These young men have played their hearts the last four days and take home fourth place on penalty kicks is not how we wanted to do it.
    "I am very proud and pleased with the way we played in the Metro-East Tournament," said Stewart. "I'm very excited about what these young men
    can do this soccer season. I am looking forward to a very exciting and long season."
    On Friday, Ryan Cowsert and Hawkins combined in goal to save 12 shots, while giving up nine in a six-goal loss to Waterloo Gibault.
    Cowsert took the loss, playing 38 minutes, while Hawkins put in 42 minutes in net.
    Luke Horton, Anfernee Houston and James Curtis each had a goal for the Bulldogs.
    "To come in to tonights game after playing three game the last four days, I knew it was going to be tough for our men, said Stewart. "The heat has taken its toll on us. We are tired, sore and have several players with injuries. On top of that, we are
    playing a ball club that been to the Final Four several times, so I knew we had our work cut out for us."
    Harrisburg is slated to return to action today (Tuesday) at 4 p.m. against Anna-Jonesboro at Michael Herrin Field.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar