The Daily Register - Harrisburg, IL
  • High speed chase ends in crash and arrest

  • A high speed chase in the Harrisburg and Carrier Mills area ended in a crash and the arrest of one person on Saturday night.
    • email print
  • A high speed chase in the Harrisburg and Carrier Mills area ended in a crash and the arrest of one person on Saturday night.
    At about 8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, Carrier Mills Police were dispatched to a residence on North Main Street in Carrier Mills with a report of a person threatening to kill people, according to Carrier Mills Sgt. Billy Duncan. Upon arrival, Carrier Mills police were told that LeRoy F. Wallace had fled the scene in a pickup truck. Police were also informed that Wallace was unarmed and thought to be enroute to a residence in Harrisburg.
    At about 8:10 p.m. a Saline County Sheriff’s Office deputy located and stopped Wallace in Harrisburg at the intersection of Feazel and Longley streets. Wallace fled the deputy, traveling west on Barnett Street, south on Liberty Road, then south on U.S. 45 towards Carrier Mills. A Carrier Mills unit positioned itself at M&R Bowstrings and awaited an update. Wallace, with a Saline County Sheriff’s Office unit in close pursuit, descended Ledford Hill and, going around on the shoulder the Carrier Mills unit blocking the road, proceeded into Carrier Mills at speeds in excess of 90 miles an hour, Duncan said.
    At this point, police terminated pursuit due to heavy traffic on the highway. At the same time, traffic on the highway forced Wallace to reduce his speed to about 55 miles an hour and police were able to remain in pursuit.
    After attempting to elude police by traveling at speed and with complete disregard for stop signs through Carrier Mills, Wallace fled north on Mill Street in excess of 60 miles an hour, Duncan said.
    Wallace turned West on Town Park Road where he reached speeds in excess of 70 mph. Wallace failed to make the turn at Tipple Road and slid through the intersection into a ditch.
    Abandoning his vehicle, Wallace fled on foot with police officers in close pursuit. After refusing to comply with instructions to halt, Wallace was Tased and placed in custody by Carrier Mills and Saline County officers, police noticing the strong odor of alcohol on Wallace’s breath and in the front seat of his vehicle. Wallace was transported by a Saline County Sheriff’s Deputy to Saline County Detention Center on charges of two counts of fleeing an officer and DUI. He remained held at the Saline County Detention Center this morning on $25,000.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar