|
|
|
The Daily Register - Harrisburg, IL
  • Family escorted out as attic burned

  • Harrisburg firefighters escorted a mother and two children from a house as the attic burned 8:24 p.m. Thursday.
    • email print
  • Harrisburg firefighters escorted a mother and two children from a house as the attic burned 8:24 p.m. Thursday.
    A passerby called in the fire at 508 S. Shaw St. and firefighters arrived to see fire in the attic.
    On going inside firefighters found the family of Brandon Pickering inside. The mother was holding a young child and a newborn brought home from a hospital only a couple days ago was in its crib. The woman was not aware there was a fire in the attic, Chief Bill Summers said.
    Firefighters entered the attic and put a vent hole in the roof to remove smoke and heat.
    Summers said the roof was the most damaged and the house sustained water damage.
    He suspects a wiring problem caused the fire.
      • calendar