The Daily Register - Harrisburg, IL
The Ruff Report: Dogs and Safety
email print
About this blog
Recent Posts
Feb. 13, 2013 12:01 a.m.

parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}">
Valentine's Day one of most poisonous times for pets
Candy and flowers may be enjoyable for people, but they can be killers if ingested by dogs and cats, making Valentine's Day one of the more poisonous days of the year for pets, according to animal welfare advocates.
Pet parents are being advised to be vigilant when it comes to keeping sweets out of reach of their companions, because chocolate is so toxic that it can kill even in small amounts and flowers also can be poisonous and damage internal organs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Story continues below
A book about a rescue dog
that will touch your heart
THE HUNT OF HER LIFE, a full-color book by newspaper journalist and MySetterSam.com publisher Joseph A. Reppucci, is must reading for animal lovers of all ages. It has 60 color photos of dogs to illustrate the compelling story of Samantha, an unwanted rescue dog adopted at age 2 by Mr. Reppucci. Travel with them along a trail of life filled with surprising twists, sudden turns, mystery and even what some call a miracle. And when the journey is finished, you may never look at people and their pets, motherhood - and perhaps even God - in the same way. THE HUNT OF HER LIFE will take you on a captivating journey - a trip like no other - that will touch your heart.
For more details and to order, go to the
MySetterSam E-store
Also find The Hunt of Her Life on:
Story continues here
"Chocolate (baker’s, semi-sweet, milk and dark) can be potentially poisonous to animals," ASPCA veterinary toxicologist Steven Hansen states in a media release.
Excessive ingestion of chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, increased urination and thirst, abnormal heart rate and rhythm as well as hyperactivity and seizures, Dr. Hansen says.
The ASPCA also warns owners to keep dogs away from gum and candy, which often contain large amounts of the sweetener Xylitol, which can be a toxic killer for pets. Ingestion can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar - resulting in depression, loss of coordination, seizures and liver failure.
Flowers should be kept out of reach, too, because they can pose danger for curious pets who may ingest them, Dr. Hansen said. "Animals are very good at sniffing out things they shouldn’t eat," he said.
So easy to read. You choose the topic!
Adoption | Food | Health | Money | Rescue
Safety and Behavior | Surveys and Studies
Like MySetterSam on Facebook

Recent Posts

    latest blogs

    • Community
    • National

  • Financial Advice from Jim Cramer
  • Read More
  • Events Calendar