A buildup of lint in a dryer at the Greenhill Road residence of Bill Bartok drew Eldorado firefighters Friday morning.
Damage was minimal, limited to the dryer, water damage in the utility room and possible drywall damage, Chief Mike McKinnies said. He estimated damage at $3,000 or less.
Bartok’s wife noted a dog acting unusually and opened the door to the utility room to find the room smoke-filled, McKinnies said.
She called her husband who was working nearby and he initially attacked the fire with an extinguisher. Firefighters used fans to remove smoke.
McKinnies said because the utility room door had been closed there was not even enough smoke to trigger a smoke detector and that the couple was lucky someone was at home.
There were 21 firefighters on the scene.
Harrisburg firefighters also responded to a fire that easily could have become disastrous had no one been home at midnight Sunday.
Light smoke and heat in the ceiling near the fireplace at 905 Liberty Road caused the occupant to alert the fire department.
Firefighters pulled the ceiling in front of the fireplace and found a small fire around the vent pipe was burning some insulation and rafter material.
Firefighters wet down the area with a water extinguisher and removed the burned materials. John Bush is the owner.
Carrier Mills firefighters responded to a car fire on state Route 145 near Winkleman Road.
According to neighbor, John Shanahan, a car at 5:30 p.m. Friday was stopped on the side of the road just past 8060 state Route 145 South.
Shanahan said traffic was blocked about an hour as firefighters extinguished the blaze.