Eldorado firefighters responded to a lawnmower fire and a large field fire Sunday, then a house fire this morning.
The field fire began about 4:40 p.m. on the property of Robert Shinnick at 170 Woodlake Road where Shinnick was burning leaves, according to Fire Chief Mike McKinnies.
Wind blew the fire quickly out of control into the area of the reservoir near Karel Park and into the woods where it caught trees ablaze.
McKinnies called for mutual aid from Ridgway, Shawneetown, Equality, Harrisburg and Galatia.
“And it still took us two-and-a-half hours,” McKinnies said.
No structures were in immediate danger, though the departments kept fire engines standing by near some of the neighboring houses in case the wind changed direction.
McKinnies said about 15 to 20 acres burned.
Earlier Sunday firefighters responded to 121 Jasper Road, a property owned by Kim VanZant. She had been using a riding lawnmower to mulch up leaves and leaves became caught up in belts beneath the mower. Friction produced by the moving belt caused a fire that melted the belts and damaged some of the wiring, McKinnies said.
Early this morning firefighters responded to a fire at 1010 Grant Street, property rented by Ezra Hall.
McKinnies said the fire was an issue of old single-strand wiring that caused insulation to smolder until Hall smelled it and called for the fire department.
The damage was minimal, McKinnies said. Firefighters cut into the wall to reach the wiring and left an 8 feet-by-8 feet hole in the living room.
McKinnies estimated the damage at $1,500 to $2,000.